Friday, January 16, 2015

Chalk Paint Gives New Life to an Old Screen

Hi!,
I am back into the studio after a week of vacation and couldn't wait to show you the project I just completed.

This very tired tri-fold wooden screen was crying out for a makeover. I took the panels apart before starting to paint it. I cleaned each panel with a damp cloth to remove any dust or dirt.


 My paint of choice was Americana Decor chalky finish paint . I painted the entire  screen with the color rouge, then the front of the louvers with relic.These colors matched perfectly with a side table that I already have. Happy Dance!!

 I used a chip brush for applying the chalk paint. These are very inexpensive and you can find them at the dollar store, craft, and Home Depot. The bristles are ideal for getting that shabby chic distressed look.




When the screen was dry I painted a DecoArt vintage stencil on to the bottom of the middle panel using Americana Decor chalky finish paint in the color relic.

 Make sure you have your stencil taped down securely using an easy release tape. Painters tape works great. You will want to use a stencil brush to apply the paint. 

TIP: Blot most of the paint off the brush before applying to the stencil. This helps prevent paint from bleeding under the stencil. Do several light applications for best results.


 I try and get in the habit of cleaning my stencils and brushes right away. I use DecoArt brush and Stencil cleaner. 

TIP: I found that a hanger with clips on it works really well for hanging your larger stencils to dry.





 I wanted to add some interest so I dry brushed Americana Decor chalky finish in the color vintage in between the slats. You can also see that I distressed the piece by lightly sanding in spots.

Tip: Refer to the link (dry brushed) for other helpful hints and more ways to distress your piece.





I finished my piece by applying Americana decor creme waxes (clear and golden brown)
with a soft brush and working the dark brown into the corners to give it an aged look.

Tip: Use the clear first in places where you want to keep the original base color, then the dark.



When I put the sections back together I decided to change the way the screen folded to soften a corner of my dining room. I love the way this turned out!



No comments: