Saturday, November 22, 2014

Holiday Platter with Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint



Ahhh, the weekend is finally here

 Today I wanted to share a holiday platter I just finished using Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint.
The manager at my local Home Depot went above and beyond and cut a square piece of wood into a circle for me, he even drilled the holes for the handles too!


 Americana Decor Supplies 
Americana Decor Chalky Finish Colors
* Rouge
* New Life
* Lace
* Serene
* Relic

Americana Decor Crème Waxes
*Clear
*Deep Brown
*Ultra Matte Varnish

Other
*Cafe Paris Stencil by DecoArt
* Black Permanent Marker

I painted three circles, each a different color. The color inspiration came from the sheet of vintage card stock behind the paint.       Hint: Wait at least 10 minutes between coats of paint.


I secured the stencil with painters tape then used a small stencil brush to apply the paint.


I wanted to add a simple scallop around the circles. I made a half circle template by using a wooden candlestick. I made a mark on both sides at the halfway mark. I lined up the marks on each side of the candlestick and traced it with a white charcoal pencil.     Hint: I used a charcoal pencil because you can paint over it and it wont show through, easily remove if you make a mistake, and easier to see over dark colors.



 I added a few more details using a black permanent marker. I let the piece sit overnight.  In the morning I applied a clear and dark wax.

  When dry, I set it with an ultra matte varnish to keep that matte chalk finish look. 
I let it set overnight and the next day I attached the handles.




*** I have attached a helpful video on how to apply the waxes.


There are a number of great videos DecoArt produces to help inspire you, apply their product lines, and to give some wonderful tips. Check them out on youtube. #chalkyfinishpaint  #christmas #christmas platter #decoart #americanadecor #stenciling #vintagelook

Shari

No comments: